Tuesday, April 16, 2013

No Bears Are Out Tonight

Courtesy Mike Dunn, NC State Museum of Natural Sciences
I get a lot of advice from a lot of people. One of the strangest pieces of advice I have received, and surprisingly from several different people, is to take a gun. Why? well, they are afraid I'll be attacked by a polar bear.
I'm always surprised when someone asks about the dangers of polar bears on my trip. There are no polar bears in Antarctica. I thought everyone knew this but I guess not. Polar bears live in the north and penguins live in the south.
Courtesy Michael Van Woert, NOAA NESDIS, ORA
So what wildlife can we expect to see during The South Pole Epic? Probably none. Many birds and mammals can be found in Antarctica. However, our expedition starts at Hercules Inlet which although on the "coast" of Antarctica is many miles from open water, and the animals of Antarctica are found near the open water.
Courtesy Michael Van Woert, NOAA NESDIS, ORA  

No comments:

Post a Comment