Thursday, January 9, 2014

Jan 9 -- I Bike Alone

South 87 degrees 53.000 West 82 degrees 01.111 12 nautical miles 8,318 ft

Sorry for the low mileage today. My old man eyes just don't do well with the low light conditions like today. One of the songs on my iPod says, "My shadow's the only one that walks beside me." Well, I must stink so badly that not even my shadow would bike with me today.

Today was actually the easiest day I've had so far, at least aerobically. But it was a difficult day because of the lighting. The first ten miles were pretty much flat and the sleds seemed to just glide along. Then there was a short downhill. I hit some of the highest speeds that I have gone the whole time, but I couldn't see where I was going. It was like biking downhill with a white sheet of paper in front of my eyes.

I have one fork and one spoon. Usually I can only find one or the other. The last few days it has been the fork. Today I found my spoon so I figured I wouldn't be able to find my fork, but I found it, too!

Remember to go out and be active!

2 comments:

  1. Daniel: You're not alone. My wife and I are with you each time you make a blog entry. We've both told numerous people of your expedition so although you may not see their comments you can be sure there are many more following you than you know. Man, it never occurred to me how wonderful you must smell by now, thanks for the mental imagery. Maybe you should have taken a couple of ' sporks' with you, you know those spoons that have teeth? Come to think of it I don't think I even have a spork, despite having emergency fire starters, water filtration, sleeping bags, all kinds of survival and bug-out gear. Now you've got me feeling ill-equipped, need to find a couple of sporks to add to our 72 hour kits as well. Keep on keeping on, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may be all alone out there but a lot of people are rooting for you here- hang in there and keep pushing those pedals- you may close in on Juan and enjoy some company!!

    ReplyDelete