Monday, May 27, 2013

Helping Others

I found this comment on a website, "Yeah, I realized after posting this that with this guy's career, if he had saved like a mustachian he could easily have funded it himself."

To which I say guilty as charged. Six years ago I had no debt and had a nice little retirement nest egg. I had enough saved that I could have paid for a South Pole exposition out my savings. But I wanted to give back. I quit my well paid career, bought a few hundred bikes, tools, parts, and accessories. I went to mechanics school to make sure I was properly trained to work on other people's bikes. I took my life savings and put it into a bike store.

I'm no longer debt free. I work 14+ hours a day. I only get Sundays and 4 or 5 other days a year off.

However, I have helped a lot of people improve their health by helping to get them out on a bike. I have fixed a lot of bikes for a lot of people that most bike shops won't work on. I have worked hard to make sure my customers are treated well and get good value. I think, because of my bike store, I have made a real contribution to my community. I feel I have put the money I earned as a computer programmer to great use.

So, yes I do need to raise money to do the South Pole Epic, and then I can use the expedition in my efforts to bring the health benefits of cycling to even more people. You can contribute to the expedition at www.epicbiking.com/product/south-pole-epic-donation-570.htm or to my Kickstarter project at www.kickstarter.com/projects/southpoleepic/the-south-pole-epic and help me help others.

No comments:

Post a Comment