Saturday, December 28, 2013

December 28 -- Ultra Weight Weenie

South 85º 04.979" West 080º46.905" Elevation 4,434 16.5 miles

In some ways, you could look at this expedition as a three part journey. The first part was the climb up from the coast of Hercules inlet. It was the steepest part and hopefully the softest snow, and very difficult. The second would be from near Patriot Hills to Thiels mountain, which is what I have just completed. It was still very hard, but they have driven machines from Patriot Hills to here so there has been a packed trail to follow. This should have been the best biking conditions of the journey. The third and final section starts now. From here on, there is no more packed route and there is a lot of climbing. Hopefully, the snow is harder now than it was during the first section. But other than that it will be a lot like the first section. The weight of the sleds killed me on those first days. Trying to pull all that weight up those slopes was just too much. If the next section goes as bad as the first I will never make it. So here is the plan: I'm going ultra weight weenie. I'm going to get rid of my brakes, my big chain ring, water bottle cages, racks and panniers. I will tape over the bolt holes for the cages and the racks so I don't get snow and extra weight in the bike and I'm getting rid of the bolts. There is a lot of gear I brought that I just don't need. I brought a bunch of charging wires and electronic stuff that I'm not taking the rest of the way. I think there is more weight in the gear I will drop than what I'm picking up in my resupply so I should be the lightest I've been up to this point. By going as light as possible I think I can still get the 16 miles per day and complete the expedition.

8 comments:

  1. You/ve come too far to even allow the thought of not making it creep into your thoughts. Keep the goal in mind, and how close you get each day! jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you're past the 85° point too! I think about you daily, always looking forward to reading your posts. I share your progress with my wife, who now also thinks about how you're doing. I had to laugh a little to myself when reading about your eating those gross mushy beans, not that it was funny but it reminded me of some nasty things I've eaten over the years just to get some energy. Happy to hear you were energized by eating them. That also reminded me of those reality shows where people eat some of the most disgusting things, many that are considered delicacies by other cultures, and the faces they make just trying to get them down in the fastest time. I still recall where you'd mentioned possibly growing a beard back before departing, I never did get to see those pictures before they were taken off your blog. Been trying to imagine what it might be like trying to whip up a shave lather under the conditions you're in, or if you're just letting your beard grow wild. Images of Grizzly Adams Daniel keep coming to mind, especially after seeing the picture you'd posted of the horizontal snow when your tent was pulling your bike along after tying your tent to your bike like an anchor. By the way, a somewhat belated Merry Christmas to you! Hard to believe we're nearly at years-end too. Your quest is the one thing I'm looking forward to for 2014, as so far I can't think of anything I'm looking forward to more than reading you've made it all the way to the South Pole, by bike! You are a true inspiration, even though I can no ride a bike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I revealed this before now, but when I was down to only two meals remaining I went through my trash and cut open every pouch from prior meals and ate the remaining frozen bits that were stuck in the corners of the package, and that was my meal for the evening. It made me think of the poor homeless people going through the trash looking for food. I will always have a deeper sympathy for them as I had a small taste of what it is like to live by eating from the trash.

      Delete
  3. I hope your rest helped you to rejuvenate. What you're doing is just incredible! I'm pulling for you here in Colorado. You're an inspiration .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your rest day helped you to rejuvenate. We're pulling for you here in Colorado. What you're doing is awesome. You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some brit chic on a recumbent beat you to the pole on the 27th. Perhaps you can be the first to do it on two wheels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did a great job, but not even close to the same thing.

      Delete
  6. Great job, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete