Monday, December 23, 2013

White and Blue

S 83°46.000 W 080°06.042 16 nm, 24 for the day
239 down 385 to go.
There is no morning or evening or night--just day. So this "evening" I'm having breakfast food. Some oatmeal with apple cinnamon and some scrambled eggs with bacon. However, the egg breakfasts are only 1.5 servings in size so I add some of the breakfast mix in with it.
I keep wondering when I will see the Thiel Mountains. All I have seen for a long long time is a sea of white and most days some blue sky. I thought today, the only reason I keep going is it always looks like there is a cliff just a little way off in the distance, and when I get there I'll throw everything off it.
But really, even though it is insanely hard and at times I just would like to quit, I feel like I'm going to make it and I can endure another month of this. If I can keep averaging 1/4 degree per day then I have about 25 more good days and I should be there.
The wind picked up today which helps. It makes it harder to keep frostbite away, but it also helps dry me out some. The conditions right now are probably the best for biking I'll get on this expedition, which means I can now travel for miles without getting stuck in soft snow, but it is always a lot of work to move forward so I sweat a lot, which if course is dangerous. It is a balancing act of adjusting gear to stay warm but not too warm.


6 comments:

  1. Great job Dan. Not sure if you can read any of these but here it goes...Borealis is an AWESOME sponsor and is sending us a new rear wheel with their brand spankin new hub design and it's laced to a clown shoe rim. A.L.E. is going to help us get it down to you as soon as possible. Keep on truckin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping someone would figure out how to get a new freehub to Dan but a whole new and improved wheel is fantastic news. I've been dreading the posting that his broken freehub has totally packed it in and he is left with pushing.

      Delete
  2. Dan, you are the man! Keep it up! Will you come talk to my youth group about your adventures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, call me at the bike store when I get back.

      Delete
  3. Utah is cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete